Not very active but still learning #fslt12

My participating in the course First Steps into Learning & Teaching in Higher Education is just how I do my learning now-a-days. All mails arrive in my mailbox and I scan the content. I read here and there and I think about how I did for instance my reflection and how I asked students to reflect. With colleagues I discovered a lot of non-reflection because students had to use standard forms instead of had the possibility to do it in their own way. Not good at all I think. And also there were much to many moments in the curriculum students had to write a reflection paper, boring!!! Make your course attractive, let them see why it sometimes can be very good to reflect on your own learning and participating in education, but let them discover self how it works for them. The theory often used in The Netherlands, Korthagen, and formulated goals have to be SMART, Specific, Measurable, Activating, Realistic and with Time-planning. My experience is that students in later years of their study don’t like such theoretical formats and can be better reflective persons if they are allowed to work with own ideas and open possibilities. Let hem start a weblog and after certain time they appear in a position to be reflecting without it is prescribed on just that moment…

And about working in groups. Learning is certainly not the same as working. I have experienced that making a choice for a certain group to study is better than have to study in a group the teacher has chosen. Of course it is true that during a job it is not always possible to choose the people in your team, but to force students in certain groups to study together is not the right way to handle that problem I think. Let them choose their study partners and make the chance greater they enjoy studying wich is very important in my opinion.

I’ll go on reading, thinking, studying and occasionally reflect a bit on this weblog.

One thought on “Not very active but still learning #fslt12

1. Hi Sia – I think I agree with everything you have written 🙂
    Jenny