#cck08 Opportunities and resistance Paper 3.

In The Netherlands, a small country, happens quiet a lot about e-learning I think. There are special organizations like SURF, see my last post, and Kennisbank http://www.hbo-kennisbank.nl/nl/page/page.view/hbo_about.page (Knowledge-bank), there are many edubloggers. On the other hand there are very much lecturers, teachers, educators who have never heart of the concept Web 2.0 or never thought about using the Internet as a source for learning. On a small scale there are experiments, curricula on measure, flexible and distance oriented curricula. From April 2008 till April 2009 I am in a Project, Learning community, Homo Zappiens ( http://www.innovatiefonderwijs.net/ ) with 12 other teachers to develop education, each for their own group of students, larger or smaller, using at least one tool of the new possibilities of the Internet. One colleague has asked students to write e new book for the course he gives because there was not a very good book in Dutch to use. All students, 70, have written a part on a Wiki and at the end of the course there is a begin of a book what can be used and made better by next student-groups next year. Another colleague has made a NING-site to work with students on a program The Digital Quarter, a minor for students in the last year of the study. A colleague, teacher of student-teachers of mathematics, has done two pilots using NING en Wiki. My own work is to make courses for teachers about the new possibilities and about new concepts, ideas, about learning and didactics. A small workshop only to tell about what Web 2.0 means and what is to use there, a more substantial part of the course Basis Didactics. Workshops and courses on demand. All in my own language of course.  But all this is for this moment just happening with a small group of teachers who are very interested in the Internet. A huge problem is that the people of the technical service are afraid for the use of all sorts of open source tools because of contamination with viruses and other problems in the school-system. There is a LMS with a reasonable amount of possibilities, so please use our LMS. But, happily there are teachers who still try other ways. Looking at a greater scale, I was involved earlier by making a curriculum for teachers in nursing which was complete made in the way George Siemens has described in this presentation http://elearnspace.org/Articles/systemic_impact.htm on page10, a model in which the grown-up students could choice how much guidance they wanted to reach the competences of the teacher in nursing. It was great to see the differences between these students and how some struggled with to be self responsible for their own learning. This was a program for up to three years and there were not much students at the same time. They could come to school if they had to talk with each-other or with a teacher and they learnt their profession by doing it in the real situation and seeking theory when necessary. This was about five years ago. Nowadays it is a bit less free and there are no other courses made in this way. It is to difficult for the school-system to support this kind of organise a course. And that is to bad. I have seen that most of this students were very happy with this system after a shorter or longer time and they really learned what they needed just in time. So I think it will come, but it will take a long time before school-systems are able to accept as we did then. It is good to listen to the technicals because I don’t believe in development with only struggling and arguing with each-other. I hope it will be possible to use more and more new tools within the system and after that it will be possible to made more education personal for each student. I am involved in thinking about learning since I was 26 and now I am 59. A lot has happened in all these years. I am sure that this will go on and after I am gone education will be very different from what I see now. Changes do come slowly, but they always come! Courses like Connectivism and Connective Knowledge will be helpful.